Organic (a little OT)

GLL guy1656 at OPUSNET.COM
Mon Nov 6 00:53:49 UTC 2006

I usually interpret 'organic' to mean 'plays with carbon,' and its opposite,
'inorganic' to mean 'made of anything left over in the Periodic Table after
the organic chemists finish stampeding through it.'

Therefore for example, all insecticides MUST be 'organic' compounds -
otherwise they won't interact with the organism I am trying to poison. Also,
all fireworks and explosives rely on organic chemistry.

It is amusing to apply this definiton at the grocery store, where 'organic'
tomatoes would be opposed to what - decoratve one made of cement?

Not only does this strict definition expose 'green marketing' BS, but that one
term of org-o in college has been very useful in determining reagent power
per dollar cost when I choose household chemicals.

For example, calcium hypochlorite easily throws out more Cl- per dollar than
trichloro-s-triazinone, the greenie-weenie alternative they are trying to
push in pool supply stores. Also, depending on where you live you might find
it hard to buy trisodium phosphate, which is not only a strong antimicrobial
surface cleaner, but you can also use it to add back the phosphate 'kick' the
enviro-Stalinists took out of your laundry detergent.

Typically, 'organic' or 'green' on a product label translates to 'costs
50-100% more, works half as well or worse, lasts half as long or worse, or
both.' I use it as a warning label to seek out the Real McCoy chemicals to be
found in other containers.

- GLL