lobby, v. (1826)

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Tue Nov 7 13:29:57 UTC 2006

The good news: take credit where it's due -- lobbying (vbl. n.) is
much later in OED2, 1855.  The bad news: surely lobbying is later
than lobby used verbally.  Won't you now have to search for the
latter earlier than 1826?

  :-)

(Too bad there's no "Early British Newspapers"  -- I think?  Lobby
(n) referring to the area where the hoi polloi could speak to the
legislators dates from 1640.  Might one find lobby or lobbying in
Early American Newspapers?)

Joel