Words from Popular Literature Not in OED

Dave Wilton dave at WILTON.NET
Wed Nov 8 02:41:37 UTC 2006

I would think the primary reason for including a word that appears nowhere
else except in a major work of literature (major either because it is of
great literary merit or because it is very popular) would be because people
encountering that word in that work would be apt to look it up.

By this measure, I see several criteria that should determine whether such a
word is included in a dictionary:
1) the meaning or usage may not be clear in context
2) the word is not obviously an invention of the author
3) the word is interesting for other reasons (perhaps a variation on another
sense of the word or because it provides etymological evidence for some
other term, e.g., "droog" in A Clockwork Orange, etc.)
4) the importance of the work (literary or popular)

So, "melange" might merit an entry. When I first encountered it in Dune, I
wondered if this was an invention of Herbert and I was not certain if the
word had connotations that I was missing. A listing of another sense of
"melange" that credits Herbert with the coinage might be worthwhile.
"Stillsuit," on the other hand, probably doesn't deserve an entry; the
meaning is clear, it's not etymologically interesting, and it's clearly an
invention of Herbert.

"Brillig" and "slithy" deserve entries even though it's obvious that they
are inventions of Carroll.

"Muggle" might merit an entry pretty much solely on the fact that so many
people read the Potter books and the word can be found in many commentaries
and press pieces about the books.

--Dave Wilton
  dave at wilton.net