"But tocks"

Tom Zurinskas truespel at HOTMAIL.COM
Wed Nov 8 14:22:02 UTC 2006

m-w.com has "buttock" this way

Main Entry: but·tock
Pronunciation: 'b&-t&k also -(")täk
Click the icon and hear it pronounced ~budik (~ =truespel notation).

Instead, I would have assumed the main pronunciation would be ~buduk.  I've
heard ~budaaks (~aa as in "Saab").  Can't recall hearing an obvious ~t
instead of a ~d though.

Two issues
1.  The "t" in USA English is often pronounced "d".  I wonder how often that
is.
2.  Schwa stands for several sounds.

Truespel book 3 (beginner's dictionary) is th e only one I know of (any
others?) that shows all schwas spelled out into various sounds.  Also it
shows alternative spellings for "d" for "t" substitution, and glottal stop
substitutions for ending "t".

See truespel.com and the 4 truespel books at authorhouse.com.