Words from Popular Literature Not in OED

Wed Nov 8 14:55:24 UTC 2006

On 11/8/06, Dave Wilton <dave at wilton.net> wrote:

> Exactly. I was just trying to think of examples of words that appear in a
> single, recent work of popular literature. You don't find "muggle" outside
> Rowling's books and associated commentary.

If that were the case, I think it would be a much less likely
candidate for inclusion in OED (and NOAD). As it happens, "muggle" has
developed an extended sense meaning 'a person who lacks a particular
skill or skills, or who is regarded as inferior in some way' (OED) or
'an unimaginative or boring person' (NOAD). Here are two OED cites:

-----
1999 Computer Weekly (Nexis) 2 Sept. 2 Our new senior DBA starts on
Monday. She's a muggle. No IT background, understanding or aptitude at
all.
2000 News Tribune (Nexis) 17 July C1 Thus fielding a team of muggles
in a league of wizards, the Storm opened the season with four losses.
-----

--Ben Zimmer