Charleston, SC, dialect

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Wed Nov 8 18:13:19 UTC 2006

I think that your incisive mind may have pierced to the heart of the
matter, Liz. Although the women specifically stated that they were
from Charleston, I got the impression, as the case progressed, that
they were actually "from the country" somewhere in the greater
Charleston area, it probably being somewhat difficult to find a dirt
road in the city. Furthermore, I've long been under the impression
that Charleston has a distinctive accent. Except for their clearly
pronouncing "'night" as "noyt," there was nothing else of interest in
the women's speech. They didn't even sound particularly Southern.

-Wilson