Words from Popular Literature Not in OED

Alice Faber faber at HASKINS.YALE.EDU
Wed Nov 8 22:44:54 UTC 2006

Fred Shapiro wrote:
> On Wed, 8 Nov 2006, Jesse Sheidlower wrote:
>
>>> "Some of the contributors to this thread seem to be
>>> unaware that the word existed before Frank Herbert."
>>>
>>> Exactly so, Mark. I didn't quite have the 'nads to state it so clearly
>>> and so concisely. :-)
>>
>> I don't want to speak for any of the other contributors to the
>> thread, but I'd still be pretty sure that _everyone_ who has
>> contributed knows that _melange_ 'mixture' has been around for
>> many centuries before Frank Herbert. The issue Fred was
>> raising, it seems to me, is whether the specific _sense_ of
>> _melange_ found in _Dune_ ("the fictional spice-drug central
>> to the Dune series", as Wikipedia has it) belongs in OED.
>
> Thanks, Jesse.  I thought it was obvious that I was talking about a
> specific sense of a word.  If I had used the example "precious" from Lord
> of the Rings (an even more prominent illustration of a term from a modern
> literary work that is not included in OED) would the people with gonads
> have thought that I meant that the word "precious" was coined by Tolkien?

Speaking as someone who has no memory of ever having read Dune, I had
absolutely no clue that this word was used in Dune in a non-intuitive
special sense. So, I couldn't imagine that y'all were discussing
anything other than the general sense of the word, even though it seemed
passing strange to me that it was that recent.

Alice Faber                                    faber at haskins.yale.edu
Haskins Laboratories                           tel: (203) 865-6163 x258
New Haven, CT 06511 USA                        fax (203) 865-8963