Charleston, SC, dialect

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Thu Nov 9 03:39:39 UTC 2006

Yes, I've heard about that dialect, too, Doug. I couldn't think of
where it was located, but I was pretty sure that it wasn't very close
to Charleston.

-Wilson

On 11/8/06, Douglas G. Wilson <douglas at nb.net> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       "Douglas G. Wilson" <douglas at NB.NET>
> Subject:      Re: Charleston, SC, dialect
>
> >Except for their clearly
> >pronouncing "'night" as "noyt," there was nothing else of interest in
> >the women's speech. They didn't even sound particularly Southern.
>
> I don't know much about this, but there is supposedly such a shift in the
> Outer Banks: some folks there are called "hoi toiders" ("high tiders")
> sometimes.
>
> That's North Carolina, though, I guess ....
>
> -- Doug Wilson
>

> --

Everybody says, "How hard it is that we have to die"---a strange
complaint to come from the mouths of people who have had to live.
-----
Whoever has lived long enough to find out what life is knows how deep
a debt of gratitude we owe to Adam, the first great benefactor of our
race. He brought death into the world.

--Sam Clemens