query re "con"

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Thu Nov 9 18:14:45 UTC 2006

I've never seen it spelled "conn," but that's probably due to
happenstance. Perhaps that spelling is influenced by "conning tower."
I haven't read any sea stories in dekkids. I once asked a brother of
mine who was a Naval officer during Vietnam whether he had ever had
occasion to take the con and he became so angry that he couldn't
speak. Apparently, questioning a Naval officer as to whether he has
ever taken the con is beyond insulting.

-Wilson

On 11/9/06, Jonathan Lighter <wuxxmupp2000 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: query re "con"
>
> Bethany, OED offers cites from 1825-1867, but I've seen this word plenty of  times in current print, often spelled as "conn," and especially in the phr. "take the con." It seems to be a standard nautical phrase.
>
>   Oxford relates it not to "control" but to obs. "cond," v. "to steer."
>
>   Pronounced like "escaped con."
>
>   JL
>
> "Bethany K. Dumas" <dumasb at UTKUX.UTCC.UTK.EDU> wrote:

Everybody says, "How hard it is that we have to die"---a strange
complaint to come from the mouths of people who have had to live.
-----
Whoever has lived long enough to find out what life is knows how deep
a debt of gratitude we owe to Adam, the first great benefactor of our
race. He brought death into the world.

--Sam Clemens