"dirty war"

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Sat Nov 11 21:39:20 UTC 2006

Maybe a further definition is needed for some occurrences of the phrase, something like "characterized by or requiring requiring ruthless methods":

  1970 Barry M. Goldwater _The Conscience of a Majority_ (Englewood Cliffs, N.J.: Prentice-Hall) 2: It does not mean that we assume the role of policeman of the world, nor does it mean that we engage in every dirty little war that comes along.

  2004 Charles H. McPherson _Journey to Bedlam_ (N.p.: Xlibris) 1: On the inside, a dirty little war was being waged, pitting the forces of intellect, rationality, and hope against the evil forces of gloom, despair, and self-destruction.

  It may be an indication of the phrase's relative novelty" that I can find no exx. of "dirty (little) war"  either in UM's  Making of America or in ECCO.

  JL

"Baker, John" <JMB at STRADLEY.COM> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: "Baker, John"
Subject: Re: "dirty war"

The antiwar song "Three-Five-Zero-Zero," from the Hair cast recording =
(1968), includes the repeated line "It's a dirty little war." It also =
includes the repeated line "Two hundred fifty-six Viet Cong captured," =
so it clearly does refer at least in part to the events in Indochina.
=20
=20
John Baker
=20