Sharing . . .

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Mon Nov 13 19:16:25 UTC 2006

If the Dems - non-distinct from "Dims" in our speech, Charlie - have
any sense, they'll _take_ power from Dubya, not  share it.

OT, I once came across the nickname, "Dubba-Gee," belonging to a guy
named "Garrett Gray," from Longview, Texas. By sheer coincidence, this
is the same as the name of one of my brothers and Longview is my
mother's birthplace, not to mention that of the actor, Matthew
McConaughey.

Uh, at least I'm *assuming* that the collocation of the name, Garrett
Gray, Longview, TX, my brother's name, and my mother's birthplace is
merely coincidental. :-)

-Wilson

On 11/13/06, Charles Doyle <cdoyle at uga.edu> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       Charles Doyle <cdoyle at UGA.EDU>
> Subject:      Sharing . . .
>
> Over the weekend, I heard an NPR "headline" that announced, "Democrats get ready to share power with President Bush."  That sounded backwards to me.  Thinking about it, I am able to apprehend both the grammar and the sense of the construction, and the OED documents its historical standing.  Still, so predominant has been the parental and (pseudo-)psychotherapeutic use of the verb "share (with)" that it now seems--in my mind--largely reserved for what the current POSSESSOR (of power, wealth, information, feelings, toys) would do.
>
> --Charlie

Everybody says, "How hard it is that we have to die"---a strange
complaint to come from the mouths of people who have had to live.
-----
Whoever has lived long enough to find out what life is knows how deep
a debt of gratitude we owe to Adam, the first great benefactor of our
race. He brought death into the world.

--Sam Clemens