True Blue --now "CHICKEN"

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Tue Nov 14 19:31:06 UTC 2006

I agree with your suggestion, Charlie. My grandparents raised
chickens, but they only occasionally had other fowl, such as turkeys,
ducks, geese, and guinea-hens. There'd usually be only one such fowl
at a time, each female, except, of course, for the tom-turkey. Since
the guinea-hens were only occasional food and weren't being bred,
there was no need of a male one. So, the topic just never came up.

-Wilson

On 11/14/06, Charles Doyle <cdoyle at uga.edu> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       Charles Doyle <cdoyle at UGA.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: True Blue --now "CHICKEN"
>
> Wilson, we East Texas white folks also spoke of guinea-hens.  I don't remember what (if anything) we called the males of the species.  Maybe there werern't any.
>
> --Charlie

Everybody says, "How hard it is that we have to die"---a strange
complaint to come from the mouths of people who have had to live.
-----
Whoever has lived long enough to find out what life is knows how deep
a debt of gratitude we owe to Adam, the first great benefactor of our
race. He brought death into the world.

--Sam Clemens