Texas Tommy (1911, 1955); "Land of Tall Women and Virgin Pines" (East Texas)

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Tue Nov 14 20:25:35 UTC 2006

My birthplace, Marshall, is located in the heart of the East Texas
Piney Woods region. I've never heard or heard of the saying. However,
there are any number of reasons that I wouldn't be familiar with it,
beginning with sheer chance.

What say you, Charlie?

-Wilson

On 11/14/06, Bapopik at aol.com <Bapopik at aol.com> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       Bapopik at AOL.COM
> Subject:      Texas Tommy (1911, 1955); "Land of Tall Women and Virgin Pines"
>               (East Texas)
>
> Maybe the Texans of this list have heard of the Piney Woods in East Texas
> called the "Land of Tall Women and Virgin Pines." It may once have been "Land of
>  Tall Pines and Virgin Women," but that was probably a long time ago.
> The "Texas Tommy" dance was popular about 1911. Some sources give the
> creator as Johnnie Peters and others as Charlie Peters.
> Anybody have anything on "Texas Tommy" hot dogs?
> Do DARE, OED, HDAS have anything for "Texas Tommy"? (Not the singing group
> of "Texas Tommies.)
> _http://www.barrypopik.com/index.php/texas/entry/land_of_tall_women_and_virgin
> _pines_piney_woods_east_texas/_
> (http://www.barrypopik.com/index.php/texas/entry/land_of_tall_women_and_virgin_pines_piney_woods_east_texas/)
> _http://www.barrypopik.com/index.php/texas/entry/texas_tommy_dance/_
> (http://www.barrypopik.com/index.php/texas/entry/texas_tommy_dance/)
> _http://www.barrypopik.com/index.php/texas/entry/texas_tommy_ice_box_cookies_h
> ot_dogs/_
> (http://www.barrypopik.com/index.php/texas/entry/texas_tommy_ice_box_cookies_hot_dogs/)

Everybody says, "How hard it is that we have to die"---a strange
complaint to come from the mouths of people who have had to live.
-----
Whoever has lived long enough to find out what life is knows how deep
a debt of gratitude we owe to Adam, the first great benefactor of our
race. He brought death into the world.

--Sam Clemens