Trung Luong

James A. Landau JJJRLandau at NETSCAPE.COM
Wed Nov 15 00:56:22 UTC 2006

We have a new employee in our office named "Trung Luong".  Unfortunately he is too polite to correct my attempts at pronouncing his name, so I'm asking ADS-L for help.

All I'm sure of (yes, Wilson, I really do have a tin ear) is that neither "ng" is pronounced /ng/.  The best I can do for his first name (according to Microsoft Outlook, he is "Luong, Trung") is /chroonk/ with /ch/ as in "church" and /oo/ as in "good".  The "nk" part sounds to me like something similar to but still not English /nk/ as in "thank".

As for "Luong", my best analysis is that he pronounces it /lu-ahn/ with /u/ as in "ruler" and /n/ perhaps a nasal like the "n" in French "bon".

Trung told me that perhaps he should he should choose an English name, but I advised him against it, considering the hash that many Americans can make out of "Landau".

Anyone have better ideas?

   James A. Landau
   Test Engineer
   Northrop-Grumman Information Technology