English in USA

Tom Zurinskas truespel at HOTMAIL.COM
Wed Nov 15 01:39:42 UTC 2006

>From: "Joel S. Berson" <Berson at ATT.NET>

> >I"ve discussed the word "English" a bit.  In USA it starts with "long e"
> >~eenglish, as can be heard in m-w.com, rather than short i, ~inglish, as
>in
> >"ingrained".
>
>Whom have you been listening to -- Borat?  No one I listen to
>pronounces it "eenglish".
>
>Joel

I'm listening to m-w.com (the voice not notation) and American speakers.
All of them say that first vowel as long e (~ee in truespel notation).
There is a UCLA study that came up with the same conclusion I am told.  I
don't have the reference.  I've played with a spectrograph of my friends
voice and can see the difference.  Basically, by saying the first vowel is
short i, all dictionaries are wrong.

You can see where I'm from.  Where are you from, Kazahkstan?  I've asked
others to say where they're from.  Most like you seem to be hesitant to do
so.  What's to hide?

See truespel.com and the 4 truespel books at authorhouse.com.