dual as

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Thu Nov 16 03:59:40 UTC 2006

Me myself, I think that the writer meant to use "duel," in
anticipation of countering the onrushing tidal wave of popularity of
Microsoft Zune. :-)

-Wilson

On 11/15/06, Barbara Need <nee1 at midway.uchicago.edu> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       Barbara Need <nee1 at MIDWAY.UCHICAGO.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: dual as
>
> >On 11/15/06, Barbara Need <nee1 at midway.uchicago.edu> wrote:
> >>
> >>Seen on a web announcement for the new Apple iPhone:
> >>
> >>"Foxconn Electronics, ..., has secured a contract with Apple Computer
> >>to manufacturer [sic] its first mobile handset that will also dual as
> >>a digital music player, ..."
> >>
> >>I have done a phrase search in Google, and the only hits have been
> >>some technical term dual AS and places where dual and as are
> >>separated by punctuation (and/or a clause boundary).
> >
> >Try searching with modals:
> >
> >http://google.com/search?q=can|could|will||would-dual-as
> >

> >--Ben Zimmer
>
> Thank you! 57 tokens!
>
> Barbara

Everybody says, "How hard it is that we have to die"---a strange
complaint to come from the mouths of people who have had to live.
-----
Whoever has lived long enough to find out what life is knows how deep
a debt of gratitude we owe to Adam, the first great benefactor of our
race. He brought death into the world.

--Sam Clemens