English in USA (and phonetic notation)

Tom Zurinskas truespel at HOTMAIL.COM
Thu Nov 16 19:54:50 UTC 2006

Thanks Wilson,

Indeed.  And since Britspeak is a bit different in pronunciation (and
spelling) of English we should focus phonetic spelling notation on American
English dialect first.  After all GA has 73% of the world's native English
speakers.  Where else to do it than the American Dialect Society.

English is the lingua franca of the world.  95% of scientific journals are
written in English.  People around the world are learning English for
business as well as academic reasons.  Because English is the most important
language, phonetic notation should be based on English.  It should use
regular letters so that it's easy to write.  That's the big impetus behind
truespel notation.

But there's a bigger reason; our kids.  They are not exposed to phonetic
reading and writing because of unusable phonetic notation in our
dictionaries, and SAMPA, and IPA.  What is needed is a simple notation of
the 40 USA English sounds that kids and adults can use to achieve "phonemic
awareness" the key trait of good readers (National Reading Panel).  They can
read and write stories in first grade, and transition to tradspel is no
problem as demonstrated by IBM's Writing to Read system as tested by ETS.
But that system uses special symbols, not as simple as truespel.

Truespel is mature.  I've written 4 books using it.  It's my life's work
now.  It integrates the dictionary (truesp4el books 2 and 3) with initial
teaching of reading (Writing to Read in the 80's), English phoneme and
letter use analysis (books 1 and 4), and eventually translation guides to
other languages.   No other notation can do this.

This iis a different work than linguists usually do.  I need help.  I
published myself because self-publishing is cheap now, and I needed several
books to show the worth of the application.  These books show the
integration possiblilities, and Book 4 is possibly the only and ultimate
resource for how USA phonemes are spelled in running text (newspapers) and
how often.  That book should be answers lots of questions on phoneme
frequecy.

If you build it they will come.  If anyone would like to use the truespel
database of 63K words for academic research, I would like to make it
available.  I would gladly and freely support any truespel applications or
research.   I have a truespel tutorial/test CD that I can mail out to all
interested.

See truespel.com and the 4 truespel books at authorhouse.com.

age, and price. Try it!