Pecos Bill

Charles Doyle cdoyle at UGA.EDU
Fri Nov 17 14:52:11 UTC 2006

Mostly on the basis of electronic searches (which I am considerably less skilled at than many of y'all!), I just report on a handfull of early occurrences in print of the nickname "Pecos Bill"--some of which may point to the early existence of a super-cowboy figure so designated. The most recent study of narratives about Pecos Bill (as far as I'm aware)--James M. Day, "Pecos Bill: His Genesis and Creators," Publications of the Texas Folklore Society 44 (1982):35-47-- suggests that the protagonists (named or unnamed) of earlier legends simply started being dubbed "Pecos Bill" in (and following) O'Reilly's Century Magazine article of 1923.