"Turtle on a fencepost" (1979)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Mon Nov 20 02:18:13 UTC 2006

Anybody have this? Newspaperarchive is not working (again). Does this come
from Texas or Arkansas?

<a
href="http://www.media.rice.edu/media/NewsBot.asp?MODE=VIEW&ID=6878&SnID=2">Rice  University</a>

"While a great deal has been accomplished in Finance and Administration while
 I have been at Rice, I have actually done almost none of it," Currie said.
"I have been able to assemble an extraordinary team and have had outstanding
leadership in the academic administration and the Board of Trustees. There is
an  old East Texas saying, 'If you find a turtle on a fence post, you know
that it  had some help getting there.' "
(GOOGLE NEWS ARCHIVES)
_1989»_
(http://news.google.com/archivesearch?q="turtle+on+a+fencepost"&scoring=t&sa=N&sugg=d&as_ldate=1989&as_hdate=1989&lnav=dt)   _The push is on:
Flashy Red Duke for surgeon  general_
(http://docs.newsbank.com/g/GooglePM/DM/lib00377,0ED3D07C85D3B00D.html)
$2.95 - Dallas  Morning News - NewsBank - Jul 2,  1989
He's often "busier than a tied-up dog' and, when  explaining his success,
he's given to say that "if you've ever seen  a turtle on a fencepost, ...

(Library of Congress record)
<i>Type of Material:</i> Book (Print, Microform, Electronic, etc.)
<i>Personal Name:</i> _Emery,  Allan C._
(http://catalog.loc.gov/cgi-bin/Pwebrecon.cgi?SC=Author&SEQ=20061119210413&PID=19358&SA=Emery,+Allan+C.)   <i>Main
Title:</i> A turtle on a fencepost : little lessons of large importance /  Allan C.
Emery ; introd. by Billy Graham.  <i>Published/Created:</i> Waco, Tex. : Word
0849928699 :
24 October 1985, Chicago <i>Tribune</i>, pg. D10H:
When the author of the blockbuster book and TV mini-series "Roots" (Alex
Haley -- ed.) looks at the quirky photo, he's reminded of a lesson in  humility:
"Any time you see a turtle on top of a fence, you know he had some  help."
6 November 1994, New York <i>Times</i>, pg. 28:
And by today, he was reviving homespun aphorisms to complain that he had not
been given sufficient credit for all he had achieved. "As they say back in
Arkansas, where I come from," he (Bill Clinton -- ed.) said, "if you find a
turtle on a fence post, chances are it didn't get there by accident."
14 January 2001, New York <i>Times</i>, pg. WK4:
There were other Clinton-isms, too, that would come out of his mouth
regularly, confounding his speechwriting staff. "This dog won't hunt." "Like a
turtle on a fence post." "As tight as a tick."