Re: [ADS-L] GAY-BASHING query

Wed Nov 22 16:44:23 UTC 2006

On Nov 21, 2006, at 7:06 PM, Ron Butters wrote:

> I wonder if THE ADVOCATE is searchable.

for recent years, yes.  but i suspect that the searchable issues
don't go back to the years we're interested in (and before).  the
Advocate started in 1967 as a L.A. local newsletter and went into
national distribution in 1969, so it could be a goldmine.

for what it's worth, Dynes's Encyclopedia of Homosexuality (1990) has
no index entry for "gay-bashing"; "fag-bashing" is referred to "queer-
bashing", where you can find four references to the term in the
encyclopedia -- every one of them in quotation marks, though none
from quoted material.

Streitmatter's Unspeakable (about the gay press) has a couple of
references to gay-bashing (in discussions of how anti-gay violence
was reported), but not in actual quotations from publications.

arnold