"pellow" and "melk"

Tom Zurinskas truespel at HOTMAIL.COM
Fri Nov 24 06:07:44 UTC 2006

The alphabetical principle holds that letters stand for sounds.  We find now
that even Egyption hieroglyphic symbols stand for sounds, and we can speak
the writings of 5,000 years ago because of this.

Arbitrary dialects destroy this relationship and should they take hold
lessen the consistency of correspondence between letters and sounds and make
English all the harder to read and learn.  Not good.

Let's not be artificial dialectizers by misspeaking words, but rather
retainers of what semplence of alphabetic principle we have for English.

See truespel.com and the 4 truespel books at authorhouse.com.

> > I was born in NW Ohio and lived there for 28 years before
> > moving to = Texas in 1984. My wife, from Houston, takes great
> > joy in correcting my = pronunciation of the words "pillow"
> > and "milk," which I pronounce with = an "e" like that in
> > "mellow." My sister says "melk" also. I'm curious if = anyone
> > has any insight on whether this is common to the midwest or
> > just = a family thing.
>
>It is alive and well here in Dubuque, Iowa.

Stay up-to-date with your friends through the Windows Live Spaces friends
list.