down with the evil artificial dialectizers

Sat Nov 25 03:25:57 UTC 2006

In a message dated 11/24/06 1:48:13 AM, truespel at HOTMAIL.COM writes:

> Let's not be artificial dialectizers by misspeaking words, but rather
> retainers of what semplence of alphabetic principle we have for English.

Golly! If we aren't careful, pretty soon people will start doing things like
pronouncing "pin" and "pen" with the same vowel. Who knows where such
arbitrary dialectal extremism may lead!

People in the Northeast may stop pronouncing the "r" in "car" and "butter"
and start sticking an "r" in in "law and justice"!!!!! Such folks clearly are
doomed to illiteracy.

Young boys may begin to pronounce the final syllable of "running" as if it
rhyme with "in"!!!!! Surely there is a correlation between the use of hard drugs
and the use of the alveolar nasal at the end of "-ing."

Arbitrary dialectal extremists may begin pronouncing "aren't" AS IF IT WERE
SOMETHING LIKE "AIN'T"!
Who knows where artificial dialectal extremism will all end?

It might even end with someone pronouncing "semblance" as if it were
pronounced "semplence"--if that happens, we will know that there is no hope left for
the English language in America.