"pellow' and "melk"

David Bowie db.list at PMPKN.NET
Sun Nov 26 01:01:54 UTC 2006

Paul Johnston <paul.johnston at WMICH.EDU>

> Pellow and melk are also common both in Cleveland, OH and in Kalamazoo, MI.
> I always thought it patterned with the Northern Cities Vowel Shift, but from
> the other postings, it seems to be a true Midwestern feature, going way into
> the Plains and in North Midland as well as Northern areas.  I've been told
> some parts of E WI lack it.

Well beyond a Midwestern feature--melk and pellow are found along the
Wasatch Front of Utah, as well.

FWIW, i (b. 1970, grew up in Maryland south of DC) consistently say milk
and pillow, but my wife (b. 1971, grew up Maryland north of Baltimore)
nearly consistently says melk, but i've never heard her pronounce it
pellow. A syllabification thing, perhaps?

<snip>

--
David Bowie                               University of Central Florida