Fwd: [ADS-L] GAY-BASHING query

Mon Nov 27 19:24:20 UTC 2006

i happen to have a good friend who's now archivist at the ONE
National Gay and Lesbian Archives in los angeles, so i appealed to
him for help on this topic

Begin forwarded message:

is anyone here subscribed to EBSCO (http://www.epnet.com/)?

> The only electronic editions of GLBT periodicals for the period
> prior to 1980 of which I'm aware are our own ONE Magazine
> (electronic edition for 1953-1967) and Tangents (electronic edition
> for 1965-1970).  (Tangents was published by a group that broke away
> from ONE Magazine.)  Both are available through EBSCO's GLBT Life
> with Full Text database.
>
> We do, in fact, have a Subject File on "Gay Bashing", containing
> newspaper clippings, journal articles, etc., which I'll be happy to
> check, if you give me a terminus ante quem (I'll ignore anything
> after that date)...

i suggested 1979-80 as the terminus.

> Unfortunately, the vast majority of our newspaper clippings and
> similar materials have never been filed--there are over 120 letter-
> by-legal boxes of unfiled materials in my office alone, and perhaps
> another 250 scattered throughout the building (except for myself
> and my two colleagues this is still an all-volunteer organization,
> and getting volunteers to file is almost impossible).
>
> I am just remembering that last week I came across two binders of
> newspaper clippings from the 1970's on anti-gay violence.  Again,
> if you give me a year past which you don't want me to look, I'll
> check everything earlier.

so michael is on the case.