A new pronoun? Again?

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Tue Nov 28 20:14:28 UTC 2006

How is this "hu" to  be pronounced? As "who" [hu] or as "hew" [hju] or
as "hew" / "Hugh" [ju]? (Both my mother, a native of Northeast Texas,
and my wife, a native of Northeast Pennsylavania, fail to distinguish
among "hew," "yew," and "Hugh," pronouncing all three as [ju].) Or is
it something to be used only in writing and not in speech?

-Wilson

On 11/28/06, Dennis Baron <debaron at uiuc.edu> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       Dennis Baron <debaron at UIUC.EDU>
> Subject:      A new pronoun? Again?
>
> The Hartford Courant, The LA Times, and the Chronicle of Higher
> Education have all recently reported on the new gender-neutral
> pronoun hu.  But the real scoop on this new word is on the Web of
> Language.
>

> Dennis Baron
> Professor of English and Linguistics
> Department of English