"...relax and enjoy it" and manuscript forgery

Charles Doyle cdoyle at UGA.EDU
Tue Nov 28 22:17:42 UTC 2006

Quite right, Jonathan:  The proverbiality of the sentence "If rape is inevitable, you may as well relax and enjoy it" would entail its figurative extension or application to unpleasant experiences other than rape.

My intuition tells me, however, that the collocation "relax and enjoy" is way older than the rape joke/proverb, which ironically contextualizes it.  But who knows . . . .

In any case, the phrase "relax and enjoy it" should probably not be regarded as proverbial UNLESS we can convince ourselves that all occurrences must be taken as allusions to the joke/proverb.

--Charlie