Origin of the word "Gizmo" (was Origin of the word "Tantrum")

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Tue Nov 28 23:16:28 UTC 2006

My first unforgettable conscious awareness of this word came in 1958 when I scanned a newsstand copy of Murray Leinster's 1958 sf novel, _War with the Gizmos_ (Greenwich, Conn.: Fawcett Gold Medal).  Said Gizmos were unstoppable gas-blob thingies that attacked Earth from Space.

  JL

Michael Adams <madams1448 at AOL.COM> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: Michael Adams
Subject: Re: Origin of the word "Gizmo" (was Origin of the word "Tantrum")

I haven't a clue about the etymology of "gizmo," but I wonder if anyone else (Barry, particularly) has ever encountered it as a food term? In eastern Pensylvania, perhaps in Philadelphia and associated New Jersey, too, a "gizmo" was a sandwich shop item, half hamburger and half ham sandwich -- or maybe I should say whole hamburger and whole ham sandwich, but what I really mean is equal parts hamburger and ham sandwich. I decided after I ate my first and only one, that it was meant for those who couldn't get enough meat or salt from any other sandwich on offer.

Michael