Texas phrases (If ifs and buts were candy and nuts...merry Christmas)

Fred Shapiro fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU
Wed Nov 29 19:03:58 UTC 2006

On Tue, 28 Nov 2006, Bapopik at AOL.COM wrote:

> I looked at the Yale Dictionary of Quotations, and "Don Meredith" is not
> there. No "turn out the lights, the party's over"? So, I checked "Willie
> Nelson," the song's author. No Willie Nelson??

So now I can look forward to years of being criticized for not including
every minor saying of every sportscaster.  As for Willie Nelson,
concededly a more important figure than Don Meredith, what exactly are his
very famous lines (keeping in mind that his most famous song lyrics were
written by other people)?

Fred

Associate Librarian for Collections and     YALE BOOK OF QUOTATIONS
   Access and Lecturer in Legal Research     Yale University Press
Yale Law School                             ISBN 0300107986