Texas phrases (If ifs and buts were candy and nuts...merry Christmas)

Charles Doyle cdoyle at UGA.EDU
Wed Nov 29 19:42:32 UTC 2006

Fred is right to be skeptical; I'm fairly sure Willie did not write those lyrics himself (though he did others). Still, it's an important line--in that so many allusive and parodic variants now occur (try Googling "Mamas don't let your babies grow up to be").

--Charlie