St. Louis

Beverly Flanigan flanigan at OHIO.EDU
Thu Nov 30 20:08:54 UTC 2006

Wot?  I was at St. Louis University in the '60s (for an English Lit MA
under the revered Fr. Walter Ong), and I never heard it called Saint Louie
U!  The city, on the other hand, was often referred to as Saint Louie,
though mostly by outsiders; and of course the "Saint Louie Blues" were just
that.  (Fr. Ong used to love to talk about where T.S. Eliot was born and
how DeBaliviere Street was pronounced "DaBOLiver.")

Beverly