"fanelights"

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Sun Oct 1 20:20:21 UTC 2006

Part of the variability may be that the original quality of the diphthong really was hard for some to reproduce even as children. To my ear (with speakers who have it and who were born since ca 1930), the following "r" can also be heard..

  I believe I posted on this last year, but my grandfather (born in the 1880's) had the sound somewhat more "strongly" than my grandmother (also 1880's).  Both were born in Manhattan.

  Carroll O'Connor's "Archie Bunker" sounded very, very much like my grandparents, who said both / b ^i d /  and / t r L I t /.  The "r" in "toilet" was moderately enunciated.

  In the 1970s I met a guy my age whho'd grown up in Staten Island who really did say "Boyd" for "bird," but this was so unusual in my experience that I assumed he had a mild hearing impairment. His intervocalic "r's" approached the Elmer Fudd "w," a feature I have frequently seen represented in late 19th C. caricatures of English and American dandies.

  I also knew a girl from Staten Island, two years younger, who had none of these features.  To the ordinary interlocutor, she could have been from almost anywhere north of the Mason-Dixon Line.

  JL

  Paul Johnston <paul.johnston at WMICH.EDU> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: Paul Johnston

Subject: Re: "fanelights"

Sorry, wrong message, but it gets to the same list.

There's variability in that "oi" in bird too. I only grew up hearing
the originally "genteel" version--that is, like the English vowel in
bird + /i/ , something like [3i]. Sometimes with only the bare hint
of the /i/, too, at least from (old) middle-class speakers. Real
NYC vernacular speakers my age had a "full-blooded" one, but still
with a first element of [3]. So I thought the [^i] you heard in
gangster movies was a complete fabrication. Then I heard Hudson
County, NJ speakers--one of only three (two?) counties that really
come from "Joisey"--and tapes of New Yorkers born about 1880. It's
real too. What isn't is anything with a rounded vowel in the beginning.

Paul Johnston