Re: [ADS-L] ah/ awe

Mon Oct 2 02:12:07 UTC 2006

In a message dated 10/1/06 9:33:43 PM, truespel at HOTMAIL.COM writes:

> Basically it's a quest to
> retain what we can of the alphabetic principal.  This is important for
> language learners.  Studies have been interpreted to show that it's the
> deviation from the alphabetic principal that is "causing" 50% of the
> dyslexia in Englsih.

I have no idea what the "alphabetical principal" is supposed to mean, much
less how dislexia could be caused by the caught/cot merger. Given that the
rounded vowel is spelled so many different ways and the unrounded vowel is spelled
so many different other ways, it doesn't make sense that the merger would
cause problems in learning to read (which is of course different from dislexia,
which would have to do with the reversal of letters, not the elimination of a
phoneme from a phonemic inventory). In fact, the elimination of a phonological
contrast should make the learning process easier, since there is one fewer
distinction that learners need to make in matching up the various spellings with
their own pronunciation.

Anybody who says "pee-neumonia" must get lots of blank stares. Not to be
confused with stairs.