ah/ awe

Gordon, Matthew J. GordonMJ at MISSOURI.EDU
Mon Oct 2 02:43:28 UTC 2006

If you're worried about disadvantaging second-language learners by teaching them a deficient version of English, relax. I have lived a pretty productive life without the 'awe' vowel. This merger is not stigmatized even in those parts of the country (probably the majority in terms of area) where it is actively spreading.

>From: Beverly Flanigan <flanigan at OHIO.EDU>

>Give it up, Tom--it won't work!  The scholarly research by linguists on all
>this is very clear and has been cited by many of us.

I'm sorry.  Don't know what I should be giving up.  Is it the quest to have
linguists unite in trying to get folks to say "awe" for forms "au" and "aw"
which in recent tradition were spoken "awe"?  Basically it's a quest to
retain what we can of the alphabetic principal.  This is important for
language learners.  Studies have been interpreted to show that it's the
deviation from the alphabetic principal that is "causing" 50% of the
dyslexia in Englsih.