ah/ awe

Mon Oct 2 05:01:18 UTC 2006

But Tom, we do have dialects when we write.  When I have been
travelling to visit those lads and lassies who went to Uni with me in
Edinburgh, and go into some pub in the centre of town, I frequently
find myself surrounded by Labour voters and football supporters in
their full colours of maroon and/or green, over the moon after their
side has just blootered their Glasgow rivals three-nil, proceeding to
get royally pissed as newts, asking for a quick carry-out as they
stagger home to their beds.  I'm sure you could understand me right
fine--and I didn't use a single word you wouldn't find in some prose
piece in a newspaper, never mind the collected works of Ian Rankin or
Irvine Welsh.  Even the spelling is general Standard there--in fact,
I had to learn their system to get my Ph. D. thesis finished, and now
I can't remember whether there is one or two l's in travelled,
travelling and the like, though I do know that center, labor, etc. is
mine.  I'm sure my colleagues will have other examples.

Paul Johnston