"I say...Lusitani-ay"

Charles Doyle cdoyle at UGA.EDU
Mon Oct 2 13:58:27 UTC 2006

Or is it poetic license?  There may have existed certain sorts of "rhyme" that were (by tradition) deemed poetically acceptable whether or not they correlated much with anybody's pronunciation.

John Donne (c1600), in his "Valediction: Of Weeping," used a similar rhyme:  "On a round ball / A workeman that hath copies by, can lay / An Europe, Afrique, and an Asia, / And quickly make that, which was nothing, all."

--Charlie