spelling pronunciation exercises

Tom Zurinskas truespel at HOTMAIL.COM
Tue Oct 3 02:14:19 UTC 2006

>From: sagehen <sagehen at WESTELCOM.COM>
> >
> >> OK. I'll give it a try.  To get it straight, the "wh" is spoken "hw"
>not
> >> "wh" right.  (hwich makes no sense hwatsoever.  Hwy thy say it that
>I'll
> >> never know.  But I'll do hwut you say for a hwile.
> >>
> >> Tom Z
>  ~~~~~~~~
>Huh?  Are you saying  you would pronounce  aspirated "wh" the way Michael
>Flanders  (of Flanders & Swann) does  in "I'm a Gnu (Spelled G N U)"?  That
>is,  as "w-hoo"?
>AM
>
>~@:>   ~@:>   ~@:>   ~@:>

Sure :)  You see, the objective is to achieve an optimal letter/sound
spelling correspondance to make English easier to read.  (50% of dyslexia is
"caused" by the mismatch of letters and sounds - Paulescu 2000 - I think I
said Stanovich before, sorry).  But to change English spelling is not
doable.  Teddy Roosevelt along with Andrew Carnegie tried and failed.  So
the only approach is to change pronunciation to match spelling.
Pronunciation seems unfettered, changing all the time.  Nobody seems to have
any interest in controlling it.  So it could be possible to affect change
toward the alphabetical principle making pronunciation fit current spelling.
  W-hat think?

Tom Z