The diphthong thing

Tom Zurinskas truespel at HOTMAIL.COM
Tue Oct 3 21:23:29 UTC 2006

Thanks all,

I think we aught to put this one to bed.  And I surely appreciate you all
for your efforts in trying to convince me that long i is diphthong, which by
definition is two vowels interconnected.  A vowel is a phoneme, so it's two
phonemes, and the ones referenced are ah-ee.  I don't hear "ah" but a
different soud altogether which is long i.  It  may trail off into a y-glide
at the end slilghtly, but many vowels do that anyway as the mouth
transitions.  A y-glide is not a vowel anyhow, but a consonant.

I don't think that long a is a diphthong nor is the sound "awe".  These are
as heard in m-w.com and not just my dialect, though in fact it's mine as
well.

Tom Z