Manx mice for computers?

sagehen sagehen at WESTELCOM.COM
Fri Oct 6 23:58:25 UTC 2006

>Some are referring to wireless (optical) computer mice as "Manx
>mice".  E.g., http://www.ciao.co.uk/Trust_Ami_Mouse_Mouse__5433657, and
>http://www.funtrivia.com/en/subtopics/Peripheral-Potpourri-203495.html.
>
>There is I learn today a variety of (mammalian) mouse called the Manx
>mouse--tailless, of course.  Neither it nor the computer species are in OED2.
>
>Joel
 ~~~~~~~
Probably not found since it is likely only a clever gag.  Searching through
/Les Mammiferes Sauvages d'Europe/ I find no tailless mice, not that that
necessarily rules out their possible existence...just raises a doubt.
There is a *nearly* tailless  related species, /Mesocricetus  auratus/,
properly a  golden hamster, whose very short tail is often  hidden ("cachee
dans les poils  allonges  de la partie posterieure  de la corps.")
Since "mouse" turned out to be, rather to my disappointment, NOT a clever
acronym,  "hamster" could as well be invoked for the cordless relative.
AM

W stands for >:<  War ____Waste___Wiretaps____Witchhunts  >:<