spelling pronunciation exercises

Sat Oct 7 16:49:41 UTC 2006

Must be Utahn.

I'd call it a short oo; a closed, back, rounded vowel
- approximately IPA symbol u - which is maybe why the
letter that represents the sound I'm trying to
describe is called a double "u" in English.

But in the interim, I've listened (totally
objectivity, of course) to myself pronouncing these
words (whale, what,...) and I think I hear what Tom
has indicated: going from the "h" exhalation to the
following vowel, there is a glide through this same
(oo) or u sound, no syllable break.  With "who"
*(oo)hu*, it's impossible to escape :>)

http://mail.yahoo.com