a whole nother

Tom Zurinskas truespel at HOTMAIL.COM
Mon Oct 9 02:15:30 UTC 2006

I think "a whole nother" comes down to syllablization.  The word "another"
tends in phonetic syllablization to be split a-nother because the typical
syllable is consonant-vowel.  Thus in speech the split "a-nother" is favored
over "an-other."  It can be thought of as two words "a nother."  And for
emphasis "a whole nother" even though everyone knows there's no such thing
as "nother".  I've heard this term and used it myself in South Jersey.

Tom Z

See truespel.com and the 4 truespel books at authorhouse.com.