more on "novel"

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Mon Oct 9 19:18:35 UTC 2006

Thanks, Mark. But I wouldn't say _The Prince_ "reads like a good novel."

  I agree completely that the usage in question should be discouraged - but if Ph.D.'s are using it (see earlier posts) it's far, far too late.

  Anyway, every time a school teacher explains the distinction between "novels" and "nonfiction," the evil usage is being discouraged. But since such explanations have done no good in halting the semantic shift in the past, they should do no good in the future.

  WARNING: SARCASM FOLLOWS :

  Hey, it's all just "story-telling" anyway, with many beautiful competing "voices." If somebody wants to "demystify" history because they don't feel like believing it happened the way elitist _soi-disant_ "historians" (i.e., exclusionary gate-keepers of establishment "knowledge") say, "our" First Amendment allows that, despite being the self-serving construct of a privileged, slave-holding, misogynist DWM class. (Not as crafty as you thought you were - eh, Founding "Fathers" [sic] ? ) Poststructuralists know that all communication is meaningless fiction, and the more words (books contain lots) the more fiction. "Lacan's Equation" proves it :

  SERIOUS REPORTING RECURS :

  S (signifier)
  s (signified)    =  s (statement),

  With S = -1, produces s = sq. root of  -1.

  An imaginary number.

  [Source: Francis Wheen, _How Mumbo-Jumbo Conquered the World_ (Public Affairs, 2005), p. 85.]

  JL