"legend" = fascinating true story

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Wed Oct 11 14:26:25 UTC 2006

Less clear cut, but scarily close:

  2005 [Los Angeles Newspaper Group] _No Doubt: USC's 2004 Championship Season_ (Champaign, Ill.: Sports Publishing, L.L.C.) 88:

            But disbelief has always been a part of it. A comeback that seemed part magic, now part legend.
        Unbeaten Notre Dame simply dominated the afternoon. Rolled out to a 24-0 lead with 53 seconds left in the half.

  JL

Charles Doyle <cdoyle at UGA.EDU> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: Charles Doyle
Subject: Re: "legend" = fascinating true story

In the parlance of folklorists, "legend" would be defined something like this: "(oral) narrative, set in the recent or historical past, told as if believed to be true." That doesn't correspond very closely with any of the OED's definitions. Notice that events narrated in legends are not necessa rily FALSE; nor do the tellers necessarily BELIEVE them to be true. But legends are told AS IF they are believed, and their rhetoric strives to sound credible, to make the listeners believe (or partly suspend disbelief).

Folklorists continually struggle against the popular use of the word "legend" (or the word "folklore" itself) to mark something as untrue ("That's just an urban legend"; "Isn't that just folklore?").

So, it is indeed curious, in Jonathan's 2001 History Channel instance, that the legnedary seems to be distinguished from the UNTRUE!

--Charlie