OT query: Etymology of Brazilian Portuguese "banzo"

Douglas G. Wilson douglas at NB.NET
Thu Oct 12 02:14:29 UTC 2006

I think maybe one might speculate a derivation from a Kimbundu word meaning
"think".

Here are a few mentions:

http://mulongaapalavra.blogspot.com/2006_01_01_mulongaapalavra_archive.html

http://multiculturas.com/angolanos/alberto_pinto_kimb_port_vocab.htm

http://www.lexikon.mynetcologne.de/kapitel/b/banzo.htm

Here is a Kimbundu-Portuguese dictionary:

http://www.geocities.com/kimbundohp/dicionario.html

... including e.g. <<Banza = pensa, medita, raciocina    imperativo de
kubanza>>

Probably some big Portuguese dictionary would give an etymology of "banzo",
whether reliable or not I don't know. The on-line Primeram dictionary
derives the verb "banzar" from the Kimbundu "kubanza" but doesn't
explicitly etymologize the exact "banzo" in question.

-- Doug Wilson