cacotopia

Mon Oct 16 17:52:44 UTC 2006

Jonathan Lighter <wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM> said:

Jeremy Bentham used the word "cacotopia" in 1818, defining it as "the
imagined seat of
the worst government."  OED labels it "nonce-wd."

  <<<<<

That makes good sense as the opposite of "eutopia", which at least in
present-day English is homophonous with "utopia". I always thought More
coined the word straightforwardly as 'no-place', which would make this nonce
word a derivation based on an eggcorn. Wikipedia
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Utopia#Etymology) says, though,

 	The word "utopia" was created to suggest two Greek neologisms
simultaneously: outopia (no place) and eutopia (good place).

and OED supports that:

 	Eutopia: [...] First used by Sir T. More or his friend Peter Giles
(see quot. 1516), with a play on UTOPIA ( [...] = ‘no place, land of
nowhere’), the name of the imaginary country described in More's famous book
with that title. Some later writers have misused the word for Utopia,
imagining the latter to be an incorrect spelling; others have correctly used
the two words in an antithesis.

The 1516 quotation is from a text "prefixed to 'Utopia'", I suppose as a
preface.

-- Mark A. Mandel
[This text prepared with Dragon NaturallySpeaking.]