they don't make words like they used to (revival)

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Mon Oct 16 22:30:36 UTC 2006

Yeah, like I always call my four years in high school my "sublustrum."

  JL

Laurence Horn <laurence.horn at YALE.EDU> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: Laurence Horn
Subject: Re: they don't make words like they used to (revival)

At 2:57 PM -0400 10/16/06, RonButters at AOL.COM wrote:
>LUSTRUM appears to be a common enough word that it appears in the New Oxford
>American Dictionary, edition 2. I didn't check the usual online dictionaries.

OK, since that anonymous ignoramus quote below Bill's and Joel's
postings was me, I should indicate that I wasn't questioning the
existence of the word in question, just indicating my surprise that
there could be such a word I had manage to survive 60+years without
encountering. In fact, it seems to be relatively rare in use, but
obviously not unheard of; what I find particularly interesting is
that the every-5-year ancient Roman ritual purification it alludes to
is semi-preserved along two different lines: the "lustrum"
conference and its kin, which preserves the five-year period feature
while losing the ritual purification component, and the notion of
"lustration", which retains the ritual purification (in particular,
applied to the purging by law in post-iron curtain governments in the
former Eastern Bloc nations of officials who served in the earlier
regime) while losing the five-year period component.

No doubt everyone else on *our* list has occasion to refer to lustra
every day (or at least every five years), but as noted it was a new
one on me, and I was guessing it was equally unfamiliar to most other
Linguist List subscribers.

LH