~chooldrin

Wed Oct 18 04:53:34 UTC 2006

Your old enemy, sound change again, in this case, assimilation to the
slightly lip-rounded qual.  ity of the preceding /tS/ (<ch> and the
velarity of the dark /l/ following the vowel in question.  This would
tend to back, and/or round the vowel, simply because we don't
pronounce sounds in isolation, but as part of a continuous string and
(regrettably for you, but inevitably) our speech organs cause each
sound to overlap into the preceding and subsequent sounds.

Paul Johnston