Merkins

Matthew Gordon gordonmj at MISSOURI.EDU
Thu Oct 19 17:56:51 UTC 2006

The trouble is that many of the pronunciation phenomena that Tom is
concerned by are learned well before children enter the school system. So, I
propose we establish baby farms where infants can be shipped soon after
birth and be raised in a phonologically sterile environment, being exposed
only to pronunciations consistent with tradspel. The only difficulty with
this, as far as I can tell, is that we'd have to eliminate all social
divisions as well just to make sure our work didn't get undone later in
life, since pronunciation (like other components of language) is often
employed as a social symbol marking broad categories like class and gender
as well as local categories like jocks, burnouts, etc.