pissed as a newt/Albert Jack's book

Fri Oct 20 20:12:37 UTC 2006

On Oct 20, 2006, at 1:01 PM, Lynne Murphy wrote:

> Just writing a blog entry and have drafted this--but before I post
> it, does
> anyone have any evidence in favour of what looks like an
> 'etymythology'
> from Albert Jack?  There's nothing about his linguistic credentials
> in his
> book or the Penguin authors website, and no bibliography in his book.

i took a brief swipe ("And still they come") at this appalling book
on the Language Log back in january:

   http://itre.cis.upenn.edu/~myl/languagelog/archives/002767.html

in it i quote an amazon.com review with this marvelous bit in it:

In the foreword the author portrays himself as being inspired to
write it when sitting in an olde English pub musing on the oddness of
English phrases. It reads as though it had been researched in a pub
as well...