Merkins

Beverly Flanigan flanigan at OHIO.EDU
Sat Oct 21 17:15:35 UTC 2006

The stereotyping is true, but the pronunciation is also very real--witness
our own Walt Wolfram, a native Philadelphian.  My mention of Newt Gingrich
was simply to reference a known lay figure (he's from PA, not his
later-adopted Georgia).  Barbara Mikulski of Maryland is another user, as
is Joe Biden (you can tell I watch C-SPAN and the Sunday talk shows).  I
suspect the regional vowel change isn't generally familiar and is therefore
susceptible to mocking, just as NYC or Bostonian or Texan speech is to
outsiders.

Btw, I wasn't familiar with the pubic hair ref. until this week, so I hear
"Mer(i)can" as strictly dialectal!

Beverly