Merkins

Tom Zurinskas truespel at HOTMAIL.COM
Sun Oct 22 03:06:07 UTC 2006

Sean,

Oh please tell me all about IBM's Writing to Read system.  The idea is to
teach kids phonetics first using a simple phonetic system.  The kids need to
know only 40 sounds to read and write in that notation.  They could do it in
first grade with a keyboard before they learned to form letters.  Transition
to tradspel was not a problem.  Thousands of kids participated as opposed to
the few hundred kids in Clakmannanshire using synthetic phonics that is
changing the way England will teach their children.  I recall that Princeton
ETS said Writing to Read worked.

You can contact me off line if you like.  I'm sporting truespel as the way
to go for teaching reading using IBM's Writing to Read as the proof of
concept.  Unfortunately Writing to Read used a few special symbols, while
truespel does not.

See truespel.com and the 4 truespel books at authorhouse.com.